Thursday 14 October 2010

IES Joaquim Mir and the ... tornado?

Was it a bird, was it a plane? Or was it a tornado that tore the roof off our beloved EOI, lodged in IES Joaquim Mir? Some people claim to have seen waterspouts at sea (="mànegues". I didn't know that word) that day.

Looking at the damage it definitely must have been something pretty powerful to lift practically the whole roof off the building.

Yesterday we all went to work and had a look around, and then a meeting. As architects and technicians are still assessing the damage, no decisions can be made for the moment, although there's a lot of speculating going on.

For the moment classes have been cancelled for all this week. It also seems unlikely that they will be able to continue next week, but who knows: official notifications will be on the EOI's webpage, so keep checking.

Several newspapers and tv channels have covered the news:

But I would say that this one is the best and most complete: http://www.tdtgarraf.com/video/31069/migdia-13102010?a7eca8862593b770ffa28e0532e39562 (minute 9.30+)

Well, I leave you with some photos. As I say, keep checking the school webpage for more information. I don't know when or where, but see you !




















4 comments:

analía said...

thank you, teacher, you're the best reporter.
I see our school is destroyed... so this week I'll read the book for my first reading exam —"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time".
Greatings to all your students, well if yow see them someday... who knows...

Laura said...

Well... To be honest I don't really think it was because of anything powerful but because of the way and the material they used to build the school... That reminds me of the same kind of building that fell apart 2 years ago in Sant Boi de Llobregat where lots of kids died... Fortunatly there was no one last Sunday...
Good job as a journalist, Marianne!
See you soon (or otherwise we'll have to go more Fridays...). Byeee
Laura R. F.

Elisabeth Petrus said...

Thank you for keep us informed about the situation and for show links to TV news. I usually don't watch TV and so I don't saw them. It's very sad to see our classrooms in this way. Hope you find a solution in order to have claases soon.
See you
Elisabeth

La Teacher said...

You know the funny thing is that classes 301 and 302 were in perfect condition. It only affected all the others.

So if God exists, as the "directora" of the institute claims, he obviously approved of Carlos and me, but had something against the others.


(Excuse my sense of humour, but I suppose you all know me by now.)