Thursday 9 July 2009

Hunch

Mónica (from ex-4S) has sent me the link to this page: Hunch.com

Firstly, you should know that "hunch" means "presentimiento", "corazonada".

This page asks you some questions about your preferences, and based on your answers it suggests other things that you may also like.

It introduces itself like this:

Hunch is a decision-making tool, built by its users. In ten questions or fewer, Hunch gives you its best hunch of what you would like. Read the FAQ for help, post to the forums for questions or suggestions, and let us know how we can make Hunch help you. We're glad you're here.
Now go make some decisions!


Last night I was playing around with it and answering questions, and after I'd finished 20, I decided to see what British comedy shows it recommended for me.

And surprise surprise: its first recommendation was precisely my absolute favourite series (Peep Show). Incredible! So I decided to create an account so that it can keep my results and give me more recommendations.

Not all the questions are interesting, and some don't really need much research. For example the answer to "Which Tom Hanks movie should I watch?" is obviously "why on earth would anyone want to watch a Tom Hanks movie?". But there are others that will probably spark your curiosity. Eg:

Should I cheat on my spouse?
Which kitchen knife should I get?
Which foreign language should I learn? (Maybe a bit late for that one)
Which philosopher should I read?

Etc.


Well, thanks Mónica!

8 comments:

Monica Prieto said...

Yes, I have my own account too and some results are scarily accurate...I'm going to see my answer to "Should I sleep with my ex?"

(...)

Obviusly NO, I think watching a Tom Hanks movie would be even better...

:-D

Anonymous said...

I try it and... great Michael Jackson's fan ?
Yes, didn't you notice while I was dancing before class ?
uuuuuuu...Who's bad? :)

Thanks for the link.

Desi

La Teacher said...

Monica: try sleeping with Tom Hanks. :)

Desi: try sleeping with Michael J- ooops, wrong answer! I meant: I HAVE to see that dance.
Ah, and "who's bad?". I have a HUNCH that that doctor is a baddy. The one that's going out with Dexter's idiot-sister. Is he? DON'T TELL ME!!! Aggggggggghhhhhhh.

La Teacher said...

Monica: do you watch Dexter?

Monica Prieto said...

Tom Hanks, mmmmm, exciting...of course better than my ex!! :-D

I don't follow Dexter but I know the characters. Now, I'm addicted to "Doctor Who" (my English flatmate introduced me :)

La Teacher said...

I love Doctor Who!!! :D

When I was little the music used to scare me. I used to hide behind an armchair.

But not anymore.

Anonymous said...

Sorry but I don't like people wearing white socks and black trousers. He had very tacky taste.
Maybe Lionel Richie :)

I have almost finished seeing Dexter's second season and it's better than the first one :)

I think Dexter has lots of things in common with me (JAJAJAJAJA)

I'm not going to explain you anything. I like last episode a lot (first season).

Maybe next time I will try with Doctor Who too, many people recommend me and I remember it in TV3 when I was (more) younger .

Best wishes.

Desi

La Teacher said...

Maybe everybody identifies with Dexter: the idea of getting rid of unsavoury characters is very very appealing.

Unfortunately for me, Dexter reminds me (physically) a bit of the boy I used to like. I don't think he is a serial killer, though.