Friday 12 June 2009

Urban dictionary

A friend sent me this link: http://www.urbandictionary.com/

It's a dictionary of (very) contemporary slang (American) terms, and a lot of them are funny.

A little bit difficult, though: YOU ARE WARNED.


Today's Word of the Day is "chronoptimist", defined as:

A person who always underestimates the time necessary to do something or get somewhere.

Eg:

"Hey, Cindy. you know my parents are expecting us in 20 minutes."

"No problem. I just have to wash the dishes, take a shower, do my hair, walk the dog and then I'm all good to go. See you in 15."

"You are such a chronoptimist! I'll see you in 45."

Come to think about it, teachers are kind of chronoptimists really: you think you've got pleeeeenty of time to finish the book before May AND do lots of revision, then things happen and bla bla bla...

3 comments:

Alícia said...

I like it!
But you're right: It's difficult....However, NOW, as I don't have to study any more, je,je... I can read it peacefully... Some things are funny.

La Teacher said...

What do you mean, "I don't have to study anymore"???!!!

Alicia said...

Je,je...I was joking, of course ;D